A garbage disposal used to be considered a luxury appliance in the kitchen, but now it’s almost essential to use to get rid of scraps of food and clean up after a meal. Keeping your disposal running its best ensures it’s always ready when you are, but even in the best kitchens, when you need garbage disposal repair, you want a professional company ready for action. We’re here for you for appliance repair and service when you need it the most.
Taking Care of Your Garbage Disposal
What to do:
- Clean and deodorize your disposal by running lemon peel or a small amount of dish soap through your sink and letting it run
- Fruit pits or chicken bones can be used to scrape the grind chamber clean inside your disposal, but take them out after running them
- Add food slowly to the disposal so the motor doesn’t overload
- Start running cold water 10 seconds before you use the disposal and run it at least 10 seconds after you turn it off to flush the food through
What not to do:
- Don’t let your disposal sit unused because it will rust and corrode
- Don’t try to grind highly fibrous items such as celery which won’t grind up in your disposal
- Rice and other similar food items can clog the disposal, don’t run those type of things down the drain
- Don’t use hot water
- Try to avoid putting grease down the drain altogether
Troubleshooting When You Need Repair
Always use caution when you’re attempting to fix any appliance, especially the garbage disposal. If it won’t come on, check the breaker box to make sure it has power. If you still can’t get it to work, call our team and let us handle the diagnosis and repairs for your safety.
If it’s time for a replacement garbage disposal, talk to us about what type of appliance is right for your kitchen. We recommend a 1 HP continuous feed with jam-sensor circuit technology to prevent jams. Newer machines are available to reduce the noise and give 3-stage grinding for heavy-duty foods. We’d love to discuss an upgrade with you if you’re ready to make improvements to your kitchen.
Garbage Disposal Repair Experts Serving Philadelphia, Bucks County, Montgomery County, Delaware County & Chester County
Even the sturdiest appliances need service over time. Call Appliance Doctor at 215-628-2800 or use our easy online contact form to schedule your appointment. When you’re thinking, “I need garbage disposal repair near me” in the Philadelphia area, we’re here for you. Let us take care of all the appliances in your home to keep your life running smoothly all year long.